Saturday, May 14, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent ♥

I finally took the plunge and made my own homemade laundry detergent! I made the powdered version and am quite pleased with the results. A friend sent me a recipe that looked easy enough and I'd like to share it with you! :)


Homemade Laundry Detergent - Powdered

• 2 cups Fels Naptha Bar Soap {finely grated}
• 1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
• 1 cup Borax

Combine ingredients and store in an airtight container.  Use 2 Tbs. of mix for each load.


The hardest part was grating the soap. It took me about 10 minutes to grate it because it has to be FINELY grated.  But considering the cost, I will definitely be making my own from now on.  My total cost was $7.00 - not sure yet how many loads I'll get. My friend uses Lever 2000 instead of Fels Naptha, and I would think that would be even more cost efficient.


One bar of soap yielded a little more than 2 cups, so I put in a little more than 1 cup of the other ingredients.
Finely grated Fels Naptha soap


The Final Product
For an updated version go HERE!


4 comments:

  1. Looks great! It's great to get clean clothes without all the added ingredients (and added cost)of store bought detergent. Next for you to try is dishwasher powder (and you already have part of the ingredients)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! Did it work ok with the kids' skin? I use All Free and Clear now, but wonder if I could give this a try instead?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ♥ the fresh smell...didn't think it would smell as fresh as it does! Becca, not sure about the kids' skin...I would think it would be fine, but then again my kids' have never had sensitivities to anything. If you know what ingredients you are avoiding you could just check the labels on the products used for the detergent.... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...