Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Nightstand Play Kitchen Makeover ♥

I had so much fun with this project!! I worked on it with a friend (she made one for her daughter as well) in the few weeks before Christmas and it actually went pretty fast! Our husbands helped as well with installation of some of the features.  My girlies LOVE it and their big brother, Titus (3 years), plays with it just as much as they do! He loves to cook in the oven! :)

This is how is looked when I got it - this is the actual Craigslist picture!! I paid $25 for it which was a little more than I had originally planned, but decided the Thomasville brand and solid wood construction were worth it.  Plus, I kinda waited til the last minute to find one! I especially liked that the top was a little larger since my girlies would be sharing it. 

The finished product!! We added a backsplash and painted it PINK!


Top view - I used vinyl circles for the stove and dresser knobs for the stove knobs.  I'm planning to add washers so they will turn.  


The sink is a square cake pan I got at the Dollar Store!



I splurged a little and got a "for real" faucet - it was $25 at Lowe's.  Again, had I planned a little more ahead, I may have been able to find one on clearance.



I kept the top drawer "as is" so the girls could use it for storage. It works perfectly for all their utensils and hot pads!  The divided wooden tray was part of the Apple Pie Set from Melissa and Doug.


The second drawer became the oven. We used the drawer front only and attached it with hinges.  The guys had to cut a wooden piece to fit the bottom of the drawer space as it was open when we removed the drawer. I do have a picture, but it is on my friend's camera...

I used a cookie cooling rack I had on hand for the oven rack.  I want to eventually get one that sits up higher, but am waiting to find a good deal on them!! And I will be adding a dome "push light" to add to the "realness" factor. :)



The oven also doubles as storage for all their baking sets!! :) They are all wooden Melissa and Doug sets - I got several of them 50% off at A.C. Moore - highly recommend!!! Apple Pie set is from HomeGoods and the Pizza Party set is from Grandma! ♥



I removed the bottom drawer completely and the space is used as a "pantry" for all their play food.  The wooden crate came with the Melissa and Doug fridge food set.  I made a cute little curtain and hung it on a tension rod inside the drawer opening.  Originally we tried to hang a thin curtain rod on the outside, but ended up breaking off 2 screws and 2 nails INSIDE the wood - talk about some serious HARDWOOD!!! 

In order to use the tension rod, we had to cut it down. To do this, my husband took the two pieces of the rod apart, cut the coil on the inside down to size and trimmed the outside rods to fit.  I should also mention we did this part on CHRISTMAS EVE night!! Not such a good idea to wait until the last minute - fortunately, I had a tension rod on hand!


 I just covered a plastic to-go cup with scrapbook paper for them to use as a utensil holder.


The towel bar on the side is actually a HEAVY DUTY cabinet pull.  My friend's husband used to work as a cabinet maker, so she had lots of these on hand in many styles.  I also have plans to make some matching towels for them...too many ideas and not enough time!! Maybe for their birthday in May???



 And one last look at the "finished for now" project!! The drawer pulls are also some my friend had on hand - love the touch they add!


I'm linking up to Wednesday Wowzers @Oopsey Daisy!






17 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me?! This is FABULOUS!! I know what my husband is doing this weekend! LOL! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it turned out great!! So cute!! :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO cute!! I love it! very creative!

    Leanne @ Because (I think) I Can

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutley LOVE IT and sooo enjoyed cooking with them over Christmas! You guys did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I discovered you via The Organised Houswewife linkup and have to say this is absolutely adorable! I'm going to make one for my son to use in his cubby house. SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic. I have been looking for 2nd hand furniture to make something similar for my 15mth old son. He loves the little plastic kitchen we have, but I'd like him to have something more substantial.
    You have done an amazing job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I have a real thing for furniture turned into play kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, y'all!! I'm so glad I invested the time into this as I think it will something my grand kids (that's a scary thought!!) can enjoy some day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word!! This turned out absolutely fantastic!! The color is amazing, and I love that this was a Craigslist find. I am impressed! I'll be featuring this tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alison, that would be awesome!! I love your blog! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I featured you tonight! LOVE this project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the cutest thing ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a new reader, but this just made me oooooh and awwww and I want one! And I'm a grownup. :)

    SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing. I want to make one for my girls!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just as cute as can be!! You are so creative and your girls will absolutely love this forever! We are so happy that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday" and we hope you see you back next week!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I already have a play kitchen (a really fancy purchased one), but I like this so much better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...