Friday, April 27, 2012

Our Nutrition Revolution {I ♥ Vegetarian Nachos!!}

The Vegetarian Nachos were a hit!! I think we'll have them every week!!   We actually had two servings each - way more than we should've eaten!! Our second helping was with Organic Veggie and Flaxseed Tortilla Chips and those were actually better tasting. 




I made a Black Bean and Corn Salsa:
1 can of black beans, partially rinsed
{as in I just rinsed them in the can}
2 cups of corn
1/4 red pepper, diced
fresh cilantro, chopped
about 2 tsp cumin
squeeze of lime juice
Just warm it on the stove - Easy Peasy! :)
{All of the amounts are just a guess from what I'm estimating I put in...you may need to adjust to your personal tastes...as usual!}




And homemade fresh, organic Salsa:
Recipe HERE



We topped the chips with creamed pinto beans {the creamy texture helps hold everything together}, lettuce, black bean & corn salsa, tomato salsa, olives, avocado, and tomatoes.  I couldn't find non-dairy sour cream, and really we didn't miss it.



So, not everything at Trader Joe's is good for you and necessary for nutrition, but these inside out carrot cake cookies were DELICIOUS!!! I justified eating them {only a half a cookie at a time!} because they are made with wheat flour and organic ingredients - not as bad as they could have been! HA! Even with our new, healthier way of eating, it's nice to have a treat once in a while! We will probably get to the point where we don't crave the junk, but for now I'm taking it slow.  I have been snacking on nuts and dried fruit, though!!



Tonight we had Salad Wraps
Fresh Carrots and Sliced Red, Yellow, and Orange Peppers with Dressing
Sauteed Zucchini and Yellow Squash
I also made Sweet Potatoes with Almond Milk for the girlies.
{and then Titus wanted some, too!}
YUM!




Linking up: 





5 comments:

  1. The nachos sound delicious!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your nachos!!! YUM! Thanks for being a part of our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope to see you again real soon!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I found your blog through a search on pinterest for vegetarian nachos and I am loving it! Can't wait to read more. Feel free to stop by my blog and say "hi"...I love making new blogger friends. :)
    Have a fabulous weekend!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...