Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Veggie Burger Verdict...

I NEVER, in a millions years, thought I would EVER eat a veggie burger!! But tonight's meal was veggie burgers and home-style sweet potatoes.  And I have to say, it was pretty yummy! I will definitely serve them again. :)

I do feel that a disclaimer is in order, though.  It tasted nothing like a juicy, grilled hamburger.  We got the southwestern chipotle black bean burgers so they had a great flavor, but it was definitely not meat! 

Probably the biggest change in our nutrition revolution this time around has been with our mindset. Previously, I tried so hard to replicate our favorite recipes and the meals I knew how to cook - only using healthier, all-natural, organic ingredients.  Now, we are just changing what we eat.  Not gonna lie...I'm hoping some of the stuff will taste better after our palettes have adjusted to not eating processed ingredients - like the texture of WHOLE grain pasta, for example! And, by the way, "whole wheat" and "wheat" are not the same thing!

Anyhow, back to the burgers... we topped them with tomato, spinach lettuce, sauteed onions and mushrooms (no oil), red and yellow peppers, and an avocado spread (made with avocado, lemon juice, and pepper) and sandwiched them on toasted whole grain buns.

I bought the sweet potatoes already cubed in the frozen section in order to save some time as Wednesdays are always rushed to get dinner cooked and everyone fed before music practice at church.  I tossed them with coconut milk and cinnamon (no sugar) and then baked them until soft.  YUM!



COMING SOON!!!
Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna 





4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm excited to hear about the vegetarian eggplant lasagna...I like ANY type of lasagna. :) All your food has looked so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karla, I'm inspired by your changing your family's diets into eating all whole foods! This is a step that I'm working toward also, and it is not an easy one! The lasagna sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...unknown is Jennifer Durham! I really need to start a blog....soon!:)

      Delete
    2. Yes, Jennifer, you do!!! :) In the meantime, you can guest post for me!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...